Saturday, February 2, 2008

Darcy update as of 02/02/08

Surprise! On 1/31 Darcy was given a card to "call home" to let us know that she arrived in South Africa safely. She will be staying, for the time being, in the Province of Limpopo for the start of her training and will be spending 4 hours per day learning Sepedi (one of the official language of Limpopo) and Afrikaans. The remainder of each day she will be learning/living the culture & visiting schools, clinics, homes, markets, banks, etc. She was at a school when she called and said that she had taken along her frizbee and had been playing with the children....they loved it!
"Gabotse," Darcy's Mom

4 comments:

Hayden said...

Thinking lots of you, Darcy. Strange that you are so far away. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.
- Hayden

Brenda said...

It's Easter today. I am reminded of our Easter Sundays in Somesville when it seemed like the entire town came to church. Of course, we wanted to get outside to ride our bikes through the cemetery and to get penny candy at Higgins (?). We'd take our treats down to the walking bridge or over to the damn behind the library. How lucky we were to grow up with the ocean all around us. Needless to say, Darcy, you are missed. Love, Bren

PS - I promise to keep lots of Breyer's Chocolate Chip Mint ice cream for you when you come home. Send your new address when you can so that I can send education supplies!

insouthafrica said...

..... Hi! I talked to Darcy last week! We are keeping her busy! She just has a few weeks left before she completes training and swears in! We have heard that the US Ambassador to the South Africa, Eric Bost will be attending the swearing in-- So it should be a wonderful event! I will try to get some pictures and post them if possible.

Shinck said...

Darc-Y,
Your postcard was wonderful, it sounds like you are doing well. That makes me happy. There are plans in the works for a letter to you - iow, I need to sit my sweet cheeks down and put one together! I'm in a new place, new job and there's potential for a big new adventure on the horizon. No competition here, I promise. I'm just doing my part to confuse the world at large - reassuring to hear from a journalist, eh?
I love you very much and think about you more than you can imagine. Sending hugs...xoxo S-rah