Sunday, April 19, 2009

A letter to Mr. Obama



Dear Mr. Obama,

Opportunity, freedom, equality, support, good health and education are things I celebrate everyday.  Most of them occur in my life simply because I’m an American and for that I am grateful.  Living in black, rural South Africa opened my eyes to this and made me truly appreciate the life I have been blessed with.   

On January 20, 2009 at 7:00pm my time, I watched you swear in as the 44th president of the United States.  A massive wave of pride swept over me that night. I felt so proud to be an American.  That is a feeling I have never had.  In the eyes of generations all over the world you are an idol.  An absolute hero.  You have the toughest job in the world right now.  Thank you for being our leader during such difficult times.  If there is one thing I have learned from my time in the Peace Corps it is that one must have patience and find success in everyday; to have faith in the flow, and patience in faith.  I hope our country, and the rest of the world, can find patience before judgement.

My father is your biggest fan.  He and my Mom visited me here in South Africa from Mt Desert Island, Maine.  They presented my host Mom with an Obama t-shirt.  The pride on her face when wearing your shirt was unmeasurable.  It went perfectly with the Mandela apron I had previously given her. 

You are a common thread of hope throughout the world.  This picture speaks volumes of the connection that people now have because of you.  As an American I now hold my head up high.  When people here find out that I'm from the United States the first thing they want to talk about is Obama.  With the South African election drawing near I am often asked if I'll be voting.  I explain that I'm not a citizen but I did my part for the world by voting for Obama.  That is all the answer they need as they shake my hand with thanks.

I read your inaugural speech as a source of inspiration and hope.  It is also a constant reminder of the magnitude of the tasks and difficult decisions that lay ahead of you and our country.  Returning to the United States after my Peace Corps service scares me as I think about the desperate economy and job market I will be re-entering at the age of 36.  However, I find peace knowing that those issues are being addressed in a way that will not make the rich richer but will feed the poor, house the homeless, treat the sick and open doors to education and greater opportunity for the disadvantaged.  Thank you, Mr. Obama, for moving us forward with values of humanity and compassion. 

 

Proudly,

Darcy Stillman

Peace Corps South Africa, 2008-2010

         

 

 

 

1 comment:

Ali G. said...

Thought you'd like to read this :-)
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/20/us/politics/20letters.html?em