Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gone Native...

The more time I spend here the more experiences I have that connect me to the culture. I see things that make me sad and want more for the people here. But I also get to experience what makes these people so beautiful.


Mma Gogo came to pull the dried maize (corn) off the cobs we harvested from our maize field. Be bagged it up and sent it to town on a donkey cart and got four big bags of milie meal to make bahobe (staple porridge) with. Between my Sepedi and Mma Gogo's English, we had a really fun time together. She loved teaching me the technique of shaving off the corn. It's not as easy as you think and it's hard on the hands. I have so much respect for the old women of this culture.




I know I look stupid but the winter mornings are very very cold and when you don't have all your winter clothes you make due with what you have.




This was so much fun. They taught me the rhythm to beat on the drum then they all started singing and dancing. The energy in that circle was amazing and the kids got a kick out of watching me drum.

No comments: